Next meeting at the University of Edinburgh, June 28-30, 2018 on the theme:
Scripture, Prayer and Worship in the History of Missions and World Christianity
Paper proposals with brief abstracts should be submitted via email by March 28, 2018 to the Conference Administrator, Jessie Fubara-Manuel at email@example.com. Please include your name, the name of your institution, and the title of your proposed paper at the top of the document.
Papers should relate in some way to the "conference theme" and applicants will be informed of the status of their proposal within one week of submission.
Registration is a two-step process, which needs to be completed by April 15, 2018. Please register using the online form and pay the registration fee through the ePay system.
Space for the conference is limited to 80 participants. If you plan to attend, please register at your earliest convenience. Queries regarding conference registration and booking accommodations should be directed to Jean Reynolds, at J.Reynolds@ed.ac.uk.
The Yale-Edinburgh Group on the
History of the Missionary Movement and World Christianity is an informal group
of scholars, which was formed to facilitate discussion and exchange of information
about historical aspects of the missionary movement and the development of world
Christianity, with special emphasis on the sources for documentation. It is
a forum where viewpoints from the fields of political, social, diplomatic, and
religious history can converge to reassess the significance of the missionary
movement and its worldwide effects.
Themes of prior meetings of the
- March 1992 at Yale: "From
Christendom to World Christianity"
- September 1992 at Edinburgh:
- September 1993 at Yale:
"Language, Culture, and Translation"
- September 1994 at Edinburgh:
"The Churches and the Missionary Movement"
- June 1995 at Yale: "World
Christianity and the Teaching of History"
- June 1996 at Edinburgh:
"Missions and Ethnicity"
- June 1997 at Yale: "Missions
and Consequences: The Historical Impact of the Missionary Movement"
- July 1998 at Edinburgh:
"War and Peace in the History of Missions"
- July 1999 at Yale: "Youth
and the Leadership of the Missionary Movement: Inter-Generational Challenge
- July 2000 at Edinburgh:
"Representations and Misrepresentations of Missions"
- July 2001 at Yale:
"Missions and Human Rights"
- July 2002 at Edinburgh:
and the Powers: Seen and Unseen"
- July 2003
at Yale: "Conversion
- July 2004 at Edinburgh:
Money, and Privilege"
- July 2005 at Yale: "Identity,
Ethnic and Christian, in the History of Christian Missions"
- July 2006 at Edinburgh:
Sound, and Touch: Visual, Musical, and Material Aspects of Christian
2007 at Yale: "Liberty,
Slavery, and Christian Missions"
2008 at Edinburgh: "Perceptions
and Portrayals: heroes and villains in mission historiography"
2009 at Yale: "Missions,
Law, and Custom"
2010 at Edinburgh: "Consultation
and Cooperation in the History of Missions"
2011 at Yale: "Missions
- June 2012 at Edinburgh: "Religious Movements of Renewal, Revival, and Revitalization in the History of Missions and World Christianity"
- June 2013 at Yale: Health, Healing, and Medicine in the History of Missions and World Christianity
- June 2014 at Edinburgh:Gender and Family in the History of Missions and World Christianity
- June 2015 at Yale: Religion and Religions in the History of Missions and World Christianity
- June 2016 at Edinburgh: Responses to Missions: Appropriations, Revisions, and Rejections
- June/July 2017 at Yale: Migration, Exile, and Pilgrimage in the History of Missions and World Christianity
For more information contact:
Chris Anderson, Yale Divinity Library,
409 Prospect Street, New Haven, CT 06511 --- Phone: 203 432-5289; Fax: 203 432-3906
--- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org